Resultat av: Special relativity, SI2371, ht 2010Status: Avslutad
Publicerad under: 2010-12-16 - 2011-05-03
Antal svar: 13
Procent av kursdeltagarna som svarat: 43%
Kontaktperson: Teresia M?nsson
What is your overall impression of the course?13 svarande
|Very positive||0|| 0%|
|Very negative||0|| 0%|
What was best with the course?- The course literature.
- The course was a great introductory course in special relativity, and it seemed to cover the most important topics in special relativity.
- The subject was made interesting. I liked that lecture notes were put up on the website.
- the conceptual problem. It would be better if we could keep the sheet of paper
- Good homework problems. And the handout solutions were great.
- The lecturer's positive attitude gave you good motivation!
- The availability and the cheerfulness of the teacher.
- The seminars were very helpful.
- Interesting subject, good book
What was worse with the course?- I would have liked to see a more mathematically oriented course, where the tensor calculus was more prominent, and where some of the more "conceptual" arguments (in for example derivations) were substituded for arguments built on more rigorus mathematical foundation.
- The exam was too difficult.
- The theoritical part about tensors
- The webpage and the material there. It was hard to find what you were looking for and the uploaded materia was fragmented.
The dummy exam and the final exam had entirely diffrent focus. One was slightly missled by the dummy (not much tho).
- No real support to rely on. Only some written notes (not enough) or the book (too much). Real lectures notes would be the best, especially for the persons who, like me, couldn't attend all the classes.
- The book was awful. The worst I've had in the last 3 years. It's extremely difficult to read. There are hardly any diagrams or figures. The text is not well formatted.
Opinion about the lectures12 svarande
|Very good||2|| 16%|
|Very bad||0|| 0%|
|I did not participate||0|| 0%|
- I especially liked the notes. (Very good)
- Sometimes very hard to follow because too fuzzy. It would be better with references on lecture notes. (Average)
- More confidence would make the lectures better. (Average)
- Sometimes rather confused, and not always using the time effectively (Average)
Opinion about the exercises13 svarande
|Very good||0|| 0%|
|Very bad||0|| 0%|
|I did not participate||0|| 0%|
- The remarks made by the exercise teacher where interesting and enlightening. (Good)
- Sofia was always well prepared (Good)
- monotonous (Average)
- I regret the lack of motivation of the person responsible for the exercise session. It was as if it really annoyed her to be here. (Bad)
The suggested course literature was (please also write comments)12 svarande
|Very good||1|| 8%|
- I thought it was hard to read. I liked the extra litterature better, for instance the chapter on Special Relativity in the book for the course in General Relativity. (?)
- It is good that it is not too verbose. (Good)
- I would, as mentioned before, would have liked a more mathematically oriented course, and as such, also more mathematically oriented literature. I found the book written by Jucko Michelson (course literature in general relativity) to be more of in my liking, and also the (free) lecture notes by Sid Carrol (spelling might be wrong). (Good)
- The book was concise and to the point (Good)
- It started out quite well in the first chapters, but as the subject got more advanced it was not very easy to understand. (Average)
- I've had a very hard time learning from the book. It's the worst book I've read in the past 3 years. (Bad)
Did you read the extra literature suggested on the homepage?13 svarande
- A little bit of Carrols lecture notes, they were quite good. (yes)
- In general, I don't like when there is a lot of suggested reading which covers the same material. If I don't have time to read it all (which is almost always the case) then it would be more helpful if a smaller selection of reading was recommended, especially if this corresponds precisely to the course requirements. (no)
My prerequisites13 svarande
|More than enough||2|| 15%|
|Not enough||1|| 7%|
- I feel that this course was at the right level for a continuation from the modern physics course for F. (Enough)
- I had all the prerequisits, except for the electromagnetism, which I hadn?t done yet. (Enough)
- Would have been interesting to have known somewhat more about groups. (Enough)
How difficult did you find the course?13 svarande
|Very difficult||0|| 0%|
|Very easy||0|| 0%|
- The hard part of the course was the find out what you wanted us to learn (and what to know before the exam) (Average)
- The course in itself did not feel conceptually to difficult at all, but when it came to problem solving, it was often based on a "recognize the trick"-approach, that made that somewhat more difficult (partially my own fault though, as I didn?t put in so much time solving problems on my own). (Easy)
How many hours on average did you spend per week?13 svarande
|less than 10||7|| 53%|
|more than 20||0|| 0%|
- This was one out of about 7-8 courses I took that period, so I didn't have time to study much. But I went to most classes. (less than 10)
- I had 4 other courses at the time, and a job. (less than 10)
What are your opinion about the conceptual questions during class?- I only took part in a few. Based on these, my feeling is that it is not worth the time.
- did not like it
- I thought they were pretty difficult.
- These were great, and I really liked that they were included. It helped making sure that one understood the material, and made it evident what was yet not clear.
- I did not attend any classes apart from the first one.
- really good idea, keep going
- A really good idea! Although the implementation could improve a bit...
- Good because they forced you to pay attention.
- Good idea! Good test for the comprehension of the topic presented.
- Takes up too much time. What about just putting up the quetion on OH and give everyone 5 min to think? More time should be spent on explaining the solutions instead.
- This is a good idea. I think it helps understanding the key points of the lecture
- They were good but sometimes a bit too timeconsuming. Five minutes at the most for the conceptual questions
Did you find it useful to mark someone elses assignment?13 svarande
- It was very hard actually. (maybe)
- This was mostly difficult, to be honest, and although it did give me something, I think that time and energy could have been better spent studying or solving problems. (maybe)
How difficult did you find the home assignment?13 svarande
|too difficult||0|| 0%|
|just the right level||6|| 46%|
|too easy||0|| 0%|
- The 1st one was ok, but the 2nd was too hard (difficult)
- It took a very long time to get everything correct. (difficult)
- The second assignment was considerably more difficult than the first, but I am not sure that this is a bad thing. (just the right level)
- Not really though - the first one was really slightly to easy, and the second one felt a bit to difficult. It was actually great fun trying to solve the problems, and it was a good test of ones overall understanding, but in the end the difference in difficulty on the assignments and the exercises felt to great. (just the right level)
- The first one was maybe a little too easy (at least to pass), while the second was maybe a little bit too difficult. (just the right level)
- I find the home assignments a good idea. It force the students to work the course and is a good preparation for the exam. (just the right level)
How did you find the exam?12 svarande
|too difficult||2|| 16%|
|just the right level||3|| 25%|
|too easy||0|| 0%|
- The exam collided with another exam I had to do, so unfortunately I coultn't take it. But I'm planning to do the omtenta. (?)
- Part II was really difficult, and also the third problem on part I. (too difficult)
- wtr to the exercises done during the tutorials, it was too hard (too difficult)
- Acctually it was not that difficult. It was more about that the knowledge and skill to solve the problems didn't correspond that well to the exercises, homework and dummy exam. (difficult)
- There were a lot of hard questions. It was much harder than the dummy exam uploaded on the website. I should have studied more. (difficult)
- It was difficult, as I hadn?t had time to study for it, but it was great fun, and trying to solve the problems actually made me understand some of the material better. (just the right level)
Did the course meet your expectations?13 svarande
|Yes, to a large extent||0|| 0%|
|Yes, to some extent||11|| 84%|
|I do not know||2|| 15%|
- Even though I got a bad result on the exam I think it's good that I took the course in the 3rd year. I might want to take a similar course again in order to really understand the material but I'm sure it will be easier now that I have some basis. (Yes, to some extent)
- I had very little expectations on the course in itself, as it was a newly created course. (I do not know)
Comments and suggestions on how to improve the course- The course home page could be somewhat improved, both with regard to structure and formating, although this is a minor point.
- Keep up the good work, and maybe try to find another literature source for problems (I really did not like the problems in Rindler).
- Be more self-confident during the lecture !
- Make it more interactive! Special relativity is a subject exciting enough (compared to linear algebra for example) to find a lot of material, nice exercises, etc...
- Another book would make the material a lot easier to learn and the whole course more fun.